The interior of your home should be a comfortable reflection of your personal style. This is an aspect that most people try to achieve when it comes to designing their rooms. But what does that really mean, and how does it translate to your own space? Here are some basics on how to design the interiors of your home.
The Absolute Musts
You want your home décor to look nice for yourself and visitors, but it should also be outstanding from a functionality perspective. Achieving a fine balance between beauty and usability could be a challenge. Take a look at these design rules.
- Function: Think about what you want each furniture piece to do and how it will be used. Be prepared from the beginning to choose each item to decorate your home based on those considerations. For example, if you are planning to get a rug for your workout room, don’t select a white one.
- Color Scheme: Use neutral tones on most walls to make the spaces look bigger. These colors will also be more compatible with the items you plan to put in your rooms than eccentric color schemes.
Lighting: Instead of just depending on the overhead ceiling lights, plan to have several lighting options in each room. Lighting is a very important aspect of interior design. For example, a warm wash of light in a particular corner of the room can create a welcoming feel to your interiors.
Things to Avoid
It’s not difficult to avoid some of the more unsightly features that prevent rooms from being inviting and comfortable. When planning your design, remember these simple don’ts.
- Clutter: There is a fine line between attractive décor that adds to the appearance of your rooms and too many things – clutter that is distracting and makes the space seem small.
- Contrast: You want your rooms to fit well together. This means the décor in each space should accentuate each other nicely to create a nicer flow.
- Pattern: Avoid overuse of patterns in any single space. Look for small prints to medium-sized prints that aren’t too complicated or overwhelming.
Interior design is a matter of taste, but there are some tried-and-true rules. These basics may help to make your design challenge a bit easier. You can also visit home décor websites such as highfashionhome.com for room idea inspirations.