Do you have a small balcony in your home that is in need of a little sprucing up? Although it may seem as though the space is too small to have a real impact, that’s just not the case. With a few strategic changes, you can turn your small balcony into a perfect little retreat that brings the outdoors one step closer to your home. Try some of these tips for transforming your balcony.
Regardless whether your balcony is elevated or at ground level, it is likely enclosed by railings or a small wall. If your current railings look tired and old, consider swapping them out. Here are some reasons you should:
- Not only are beautiful aluminum rails more attractive, they are functional as well. They let the breeze through and add an open feel to your balcony.
- If you have a lovely garden, yard, or view right outside of your balcony, you will be better able to enjoy it.
Of course, all outdoor spaces benefit from the natural beauty of plants. Here are some of the best options at your disposal:
- Succulents offer visual interest and a low-profile touch of green to your space.
- Fruit trees add a tropical feel and a bright pop of color when they are producing fruit.
- Container gardening is a popular choice for balconies that get a good amount of light. You can harvest your veggies and then eat your salad in the same place!
When filling a small balcony with furniture, you have to very selective about what you choose. Here are some factors to guide you:
- It’s likely you’ll need any furniture you choose to be compact to maximize the space. You don’t want to select large items that won’t allow you to move around the balcony.
- Think about choosing just one or two seating items that are comfortable for lounging.
- You might want to choose dual-function items such as tables that also work as ottomans or storage spaces.
No place is better than a balcony for including natural touches that reflect the beauty around you. Think about using these elements:
- Bring in lots of textures with throw pillows, striped rugs and other décor items.
- Prints with flowers, leaves, fruits, or tropical animals work well in balcony spaces.
- Make sure any fabrics you choose can withstand the elements, from rain to bright sun.
Giving your balcony a makeover can be an enjoyable task that yields a new retreat space for you. Take the time to provide a little TLC to your piece of the outdoors.