Attic insulation is a priority, because as the winter fast approaches – it is only a handful of weeks away – it is critical to make sure your home is thoroughly weatherized. When it come down to it, your home will be warmer and more comfortable, which is important, especially if you have guests, or if you plan on staying in during the holidays. Moreover, if you live in a colder region, improving the attic insulation is important, because you don’t want heat to escape. Lost heat can result in lost money and it can widen your carbon footprint. Not only that, but the heat that is lost could melt the ice or snow on the roof, which could, in turn, cause leaks. Here are five reasons to make home attic ventilation a priority.
- Guests are coming. No matter if guests are staying in a guest room, or on the couch, the holidays are the time when relatives and friends come to visit. The last thing you want is to host them in a cold, frigid home. So, you may want to lay your attic insulation now. Who knows, you may have enough room in your attic – after you insulation – where you can have a whole separate guest bedroom.
- It’s getting colder. With the colder temperatures, especially in the morning and night, it is becoming critical that to find some way to keep the warm temperatures in and the cold temperatures out. You could save up to 60% of the heat in your home if you simply re-insulate. That 60% could turn into some serious cost savings – savings that could go to the more important things. By insulating your attic, you can create a shield of sorts. Basically, the heat rises to your attic, but then falls back down again, because there is nowhere for it to go, which can ultimately distribute it evenly throughout the home.
- You’re getting a new HVAC system. Choosing your new HVAC unit is an important decision to make, because you usually have to make a few considerations before you make the final purchase. For one, you must know how much insulation your attic has. If your attic does not have enough insulation, you may need to re-insulate, especially if you want to make sure that your new HVAC system works efficiently.
- It is about to snow. If you live in a region that snows a lot, or where there is a lot of moisture and ice, you will need to re-insulate. The reason why this is a priority is because you don’t want there to be leaks, which could ultimately cause mold to grow in your home. What can happen is that when heat escapes, it melts the snow or ice on the room. With proper insulation, however, you won’t need to worry about this.
- You are about to sell your home. If your attic doesn’t have proper insulation, there is a good chance that you will need to re-insulate. New homebuyers are looking for properly insulated homes. It may secure a buyer and it may increase the property value of your home.