You may think of the humble ladder as nothing more than a functional climbing aid, a useful bit of equipment to help you reach places you couldn’t otherwise. Whether you need help with roof access, window cleaning or building repairs, a ladder is an essential tool for working at height.
But what if you took a step (!) away from its intended use? What else could you do with it? Could you repurpose it, have fun with it even? While you scratch your head for possible alternative ladder uses, the magical world of the circus is miles ahead, having incorporated unsupported free-standing ladders into many a circus act for years.
We’ve collated some fascinating video clips to show you what you never would have thought possible: ladder acrobatics!
1. Could you do a handstand on top of a freestanding ladder?
2. America’s Got Talent has discovered many spectacular artists over the years. How about this amazing guy, Uzeyer Novruzov, who took his breathtaking free ladder act all the way to the Finale?
3. Performing a mix of incredible acrobatics, handstands and free ladder moves, Ladder Man takes repurposing to a whole new dimension.
4. A combination of trapeze ladders and aerial acrobatics gives us this spectacular outdoor circus performance.
5. Can there be anything more exciting than watching someone perform ladder acrobatics? Sure can. Here’s a double act: two ladder acrobats at the same time!
Article provided by Sara Bryant, an independent content writer and DIY expert working alongside a selection of companies including Precipitous, specialist ladder and scaffold tower supplier who were consulted over this post.